Monday, September 7, 2009

What I learned in Primary

My current calling in church is as a Primary teacher. I love it, especially when I get to learn new things. This month, the theme is "Prophets teach me how to strengthen my family." In Sharing Time last Sunday, the Primary president spent time talking about different Bible prophets and then we would sing the corresponding verse in the song, "Follow the Prophet." When it came time to talk about Noah, I assumed she would talk about how he was commanded to take the animals "two by two" onto the ark. After all, I think that is what most children are taught. In fat, she did not say that all the animals were gathered "two by two," but that Noah brought seven of every clean animal onto the ark. What?!? I know I don't space out that much in church, so how had I missed that my whole life? It clearly states in Genesis 7:2-3 that Noah was commanded to gather seven of all the fowls and clean animals. Now, in my not-so-vast knowledge of gospel doctrine, I'm still not quite sure what the "clean" animals were, but I think it makes a lot of sense to gather more than two of each so they would have some for sustenance and sacrifice.

The Old Testament has always been the most difficult section of the scriptures for me to understand, but this has motivated me to increase my study of the Old Testament. I have decided to look for some good study guides to help me out, and I will hopefully come to a better understanding of these scriptures.

No comments:

Post a Comment